Subject: Remocon Clone
From: Tjerk Schuringa (regenpak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-12-10

Finally got that extra bit going on my bitpattern generator. So far I fed only
simple characters to my jukebox, and this is the result:
START D0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 STOP FUNCTION
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 VOL- (the one I got already)
       0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 VOL+ (figures)
       0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 +
       0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 -
       0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 STOP
       1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 PLAY

I also found that "repeat" functions (keep a button depressed) needs to be
faster than 0.5 s. If it is around 1 second or more it is interpreted as a
seperate keypress. So far I did not get the "fast forward" function because the
fastest I can get is 0.5 s.

Very important: the baudrate is indeed 9600 baud! These pulses are fed to the
second ring on the headphone jack, and (if I understood correctly) go to RxD1
of the SH1. I only used an open collector, and as my favorite chip PIC16LF84
has an open drain on port RA4 that seems the obvious choice for that. Other
considerations on the clone: use RB7:4 to wake it from SLEEP, RB3 and 2 need
diodes to a higher port # to trigger the wakeup interrupt. Use a 429kHz
resonator for low power drain from the single Li cell.

Now I have to start the writing of the PIC code (& I'm not too good at that
heehee)

T.J.