Subject: Re: Development Kit
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2001-12-13

Magnus Andersson wrote:

> will you perhaps release a small "development kit" when you're getting
> some real progress.

My intention is to publish all code we write. And as we progress, we will
create more "high level" APIs for people to use.

So while I'm not really planning a special "development kit", I think we will
eventually come to a point where you can take the codebase and just replace
the contents of main() with your own code, and not having to know all the
intimate details about the hardware.

> Is there some legal hinderance in distrubuting something like that? Just a
> scrambler for the code and some basic "translated" foundation code from
> the latest firmware to build your own stuff upon?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think we can get into trouble if we redistribute
portions of Archos' firmware. They own the copyright. We should only publish
our own code, written from scratch.

/Björn