Subject: Re: My first Mod.
From: Alan Korr (
Date: 2001-12-17

> > Can you write the code in C or does it have to be in assembler?
> We all want to write code for it in C. It is not currently possible, but
> can rest assure that as soon as it is possible there will be support
> provided so that people who don't understand or don't want to play with
> assembler still will be able to program their Archos using C (or even C++
> *gulp* Java using gcc 3! (assuming that the java-compiler in gcc 3 works,
> really have no clue there))
SH gcc doesn't compile very well to my taste compared with what IA32 gcc
does, so for HAL part, assembler is more accurate to achieve more compact
and faster code. But for higher parts, C or C++ is okay.

We might also have C++ wrapper classes with inline methods for HAL part that
could hide assembly code.

> Well of course it has a processor, it would be hard to program it
> ;-) The CPU (or microcontroller) will hardly be powerful enough to run
> It would probably also be a huge overkill to have Linux in the Archos.
Huh SH1 has no mmu (no paging), it will be more than a huge overkill to have
it ! and even if we could do it, how many bytes would be left in DRAM for
MP3 buffer ? not a lot I would fear. So we'd better forget Linux.