Subject: MAS3507D
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2001-12-17

Hej

Curious about the MP3 decoding chip, I've scanned around the net for details
on what other people have done with the Micronas MAS3507D chip.

I found large number of related projects that might be interesting to us. It
seems many are using the 3507D to decode and the 3550A for DAC. (Two examples
being "MP3 CD Player" at http://www.atm4.net/ece251/index.shtml and "Pump II"
at http://www.mp3pump.de/english/pump2_techdetail.html). Interesting, because
they've built actual hardware with it and might possess insights we lack.

Regarging being able to program the 3507 into playing Ogg or similar, I found
a rather pessimistic PDF (1) speaking about mp3 chips in general that claims:

 "Standard fixed processors, like the Micronas (www.micronas.com) MAS 3507
  series, have the advantage of being low cost and mature. The device
  consists of a specialized DSP core, memory, and serial interfaces for MP3
  data-stream manipulation. The main disadvantage of a fixed DSP is its lack
  of flexibility; the MAS 3507 supports only MP3 audio. Other chips will have
  to be added to the audio design to support additional formats."

(1) = "Wireless Audio Borrows Formats From Internet"
http://www.cecs.pdx.edu/Systems/wireless/Tech%20Articles/WSD_sep01_Audio.pdf

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Dissecting Archos => http://bjorn.haxx.se/jukebox/