Subject: Re: Getting rid of that damn noise.
From: Tjerk Schuringa (regenpak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-12-27

I observed two things about the whistle: it is also present with the volume all
the way down and it does cease when the HD spins up in my newish (used to be
heehee) unit. I haven't looked at the schematics yet but it could be that one
of the voltage inverters (there must be several!) that feeds the HD goes into a
sort of "burst" mode which is about 1 kHz (that irritating whistle) and goes to
an ultrasonic frequency when the HD draws current. It's likely to be a messy
mod in any case!

T.J.

.
.