Subject: Re: Getting rid of that damn noise.
From: Rob & Liz Ward (wards_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: 2001-12-28

Ok. I have finally seen the schematic. One comment - the MC34063 chip (U15)
on the i/f and power sheet is a switch-mode power supply chip from Motorola
(an old trashy chip in my opinion - there are much nicer ones than this
part). It looks as if they are using it in a buck configuration (step
down) - acting purely as a battery charger (6V?). The short between pins 7 &
8 mean there is no current limiting for the switcher.

With SMPSU's, layout is very important, and as such, the components D9, C16,
and battery negatives should all be drawn in star config to a common point
at the chips gnd pin. (I know this is picky, but the drawing becomes much
easier to read if the parts are grouped into a std config).

Ok, a few more comments...

D7 simply stops backfeeds from battery to Sw. reg.

Two fets T1 and T2 look like high-side switches with T2 feeding into a 3.3V
switchy regulator (Vcc). I think this is a National Semiconductor Simple
Switcher (TM) buck converter (nice).

D3,4,5,6 look like the backlight leds...

Hope that helps a bit.

Rob