Subject: Re: q about those charsets
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-01-08

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> I'm confused. I had a look at the two charsets, and forgive me for
> being an ignorant jerk, but the text under the pictures state before
> and after "4.50". Isn't the "4.50" a ROM version?

Yes it is. The reason I'm using the ROM version to tell the difference is
that that's how the firmware does it! Units with ROM version 4.50 and up
set their function pointers to the newer LCD routines while units with
older ROM use routines for the older LCDs.

Since Archos themselves make this connection between ROM version and
hardware revision, I feel pretty safe about doing it too. Also, it's a lot
more convenient than having people open their units to look at the board
revision number. :-)

/Björn