Subject: Re: Project name
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-01-08

bobthc_at_gmx.net wrote:

> I think rocky isn't very expressive...of the goal

You're right, but I don't think it is a problem. Nothing we call it will
make people instantly understand what it is, so they'll still have to go
to the website to find out. So we can just as well get ourselves a catchy
name that identifies us among other MP3-related projects.

Many projects have names that don't say anything about their purpose:
Mozilla, Gnome, KDE, X, Scoop, Slash, Basilix, Nuke, Python, Wiki, Lame,
Gnutella, Enlightement etc.

> Why not 3juk'OS or Free Juk'OS, with "3" call in the same time the 3 of mp3
> and sounds like FREE...

Another problem with having a name that describes your project is that is
sort of fences you in. Sure, this project will always be free. But it's
not entirely unthinkable (if a bit dreamy) to imagine that in a few years
ahead it could support another device that is not the Archos Jukebox and
that plays Ogg files instead of MP3. Then 3JukeOS won't really describe us
anymore.

Also, we're not actually making an OS. It's more of an application, albeit
with some hardware-specific code.

I appreciate your opinions. I just don't agree with them... :-)

/Björn