Subject: some qs
From: Stuart Martin (Stuart.Martin_at_valtech.co.uk)
Date: 2002-01-11

Hi guys & gals.

1. The current behaviour of the jukebox's software sucks when it halts music
playback to perform certain tasks such as reading a textfile or connecting
to USB etc. Is there any reason that (at least some of) these things cannot
be performed in parallel in our version of the software?

2. Also, I take it that the memory is kept charged during a poweroff to
retain volume settings and song resume. If this is the case, then this could
easily be extended to playlist resume after poweroff, and other annoying
features.

These facilities could be improved further by storing state to the harddisk
to survive battery removal. This would of course introduce a slight user
education (i.e. don't wipe files under the XXX directory - or perhaps just a
hidden root file) and could even be optional.

3. Archos themselves have two versions of the firmware - one for each of the
two jukebox models. Do they truly differ so much? (I appreciate that
footprint size can be an issue, but that can be controlled during the build
process).

I'm aware that the LCD components differ between the models, but apart from
that and the obvious recording functions, are they not more similar than
dissimilar? Excuse my naivety here, I'm sure I could learn Swedish before I
could understand a electronic schematic diagram and any accompanying
datasheets :) I guess footprint

4. There was talk recently of being careful with the mods created by the
esteemed members of this community, especially regarding frying one's
harddisk or ide controller. How serious are these concerns? I have only just
received my device and am loathe to risk any damage in the name of
scientific endeavour, open-source or not. Did anyone attempt to recover a
'fried disk' with the (maxtor?) low-level formatting tool recently posted?
Any successes?

cheers,
wavey
LATEST NEWS FROM VALTECH
CRM - Delivering on expectations
John Plumpton, Senior Business Consultant at Valtech, has written an article
for CommsDealer in which he outlines how a properly structured CRM solution
can provide much-needed competitive advantage. To read the article, please
visit the pressroom at http://www.valtech.co.uk

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains Proprietary information some or all of
which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only.
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute,
copy, print or rely on this e-mail.
All information contained within this e-mail is subject to the Terms &
Conditions of Valtech Ltd. which are available upon request.