Subject: RE: some qs
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-01-11

Stuart Martin wrote:

> I don't quite follow. When I add files to a drive on a PC I don't need
> to reboot to access them. Why does the archos hardware?

It doesn't really *have* to, but it's a lot easier that way.

The difference from a PC is that a PC only has one controller connected to
the disk. The archos actually has two harddisk controllers: The CPU and
the USB controller. So when the USB controller has finished writing, the
CPU must reread parts of the disk to see what changes were made and adjust
to them.

/Björn