Subject: RE: some qs
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-01-11

Stuart Martin wrote:

> So our software periodically rescans the drive to keep its model of
> the directory structure current. Just like every other filesystem
> dependent program... no?

No. Normal systems can keep track of the changes to the file system, since
there is only one device accessing it. Very few systems have multiple
controllers access the same disk, and those that do employ advanced
protocols to handle it. We avoid that whole mess by not letting both
controllers access the disk at the same time.

I agree that it would be neat to have the music keep resume playing as
soon as the USB cable is unplugged. I just don't think it's very high on
the TODO list.

/Björn