Subject: My fried harddisks
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-01-22

I've finally done some tests on my fried harddisks, with disheartening
results:

None of the disks can be low level formatted. The LLF program reports:
Status register = 0x51 (ready, drive seek complete, error). Error register
= 0x04 (abort).

There is a Fujitsu disk diagnostics tool available on their web site, and
it too fails reading the disk. It reports error code A199M0.

I still have no idea how one manages to _destroy_ harddisks by simply
writing bad things to the ATA interface. But clearly it's possible. :-(

Any ideas are, of course, very welcome.

--
Björn