Subject: RE: SPDIF as debug interface for RockBox
From: Nielsen Linus (ext) (Linus.Nielsen_at_elema.siemens.se)
Date: 2002-03-13

> > I don't know. The SPDIF port is probably not connected to
> > the serial port of the CPU. In that case we still have to
> > open the Recorder to connect the serial port to the SPDIF.
>
> I think about a Software emulation on the SPDIF port. Without rewire.
>
> [Achos Box ] SPDIF(I/O) <-> SSPDIF(I/O) SOUND_CARD [PC]

Ouch!

While it sounds technically possible, we face some nasty problems:

1) The MAS needs to be reprogrammed to send and receive uncompressed
   data. Not a very difficult thing to do, I think there is code
   available for download from Micronas.

2) We have to write some PC software that can communicate
   bidirectionally via the SPDIF port.

3) We will have to patch GDB to communicate via your newly written
   driver.

4) We must write a GDB stub that communicates via the MAS through
   the SPDIF port.

Man, talk about a lot of work just to avoid soldering in the Recorder...

You are welcome to try, but I'll settle with the serial port hack.

/Linus