Subject: Re: I got one too

Re: I got one too

From: Andrew Jamieson <ajamiesn_at_mira.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:40:44 +1100

Another tip from someone who has burnt more than his fair share of silicon
..... The easiest way to remove an IC from a board (assuming you don't want
it anymore), is to just cut it off with a scalpel, or X-acto knife. Start
at any side, where the legs begin, putting firm (but not _hard_) pressure
until there is a little 'tick', and then move the knife down one or two pins
and continue. At the end of all this, you can just lift the main substrate
of the IC package off the board, and remove the legs that are left with a
soldering iron.

Clean up the pads with some solder wick (and maybe some IC board cleaning
fluid if your really anal like me ;), and your ready to put your new chip on
the board.

Just be careful not to push too hard on the knife, as you can run the risk
of cutting tracks under the IC legs.

I've tried other ways (would you believe a paint striper hot air gun?), and
this is the one that keeps the board in the best condition.

Just trying to help out where I can ......