Subject: Recorder LCD and UI ideas

Recorder LCD and UI ideas

From: Gary Czvitkovicz <gac_at_att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:44:34 -0600

Hiya,

I've finally gotten back to playing around with the recorder firmware over the last few weeks. It looks like things are picking up here, so I better submit the stuff I've been doing. Here's a collection of LCD code enhancements and ideas for a user interface.

I've added some new support to my LCD code for displaying bitmaps and bigger font sizes. I've got the usual 6x8 pixel characters, plus 8x12 and 12x16. Still fixed width for now, but proportional fonts could be added. I've done some simple UI widgets, like volume control sliders and menus. I've also gotten the recorder buttons working.

I've been playing around with some user interface ideas for the recorder. I've got a mock-up of a simple UI working. It's not complete and the data is fake, but the UI widgets work, so you can get a feel for it. Try out the attached firmware. (It works on my AJBR6.)

The idea is that all the basic controls (sound, playlist, position within a song) should be available from the main playing screen by pressing the directional buttons, instead of having to hunt through menus. Hopefully it's intuitive enough that you'll figure out how it works. Let me know what you think.

In the process, I put together a simple little simulator for MS Windows. It has a (not too fancy) Windows UI in place of the recorder LCD and buttons. This might be a useful start of a Windows simulator. The attached version (winsim.exe) runs my UI, so check it out even if you don't have a recorder.

I hope to continue working on this stuff, particularly on the UI and other lower-level code for the recorder. I'm looking forward to putting some real functionality under the UI.

Gary