Subject: Re: UI emulator enhancement request

Re: UI emulator enhancement request

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:05:05 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Enrique Melero wrote:

> Reached this point , wouldnt it make sense to put a directory as well for
> playing/recording ? the ui simulator would then turn out to be a complete
> rockbox simulator, shich would be kinda cool and would make so easy ui
> testing. Specially taking into account that the encoding-decoding piece in
> the emulator is probably the easiest thing to add.

If we can just keep up the energy, then yes, we can probably make the
simulator do quite a lot of simulating in the future. Exactly where to draw
the limit is really just a matter of how much code people will write.

> By the way, does this mean ui development will focus on the Recorder lcd? ,
> then I definitely need an emulator :(

No, that's not how I plan to go ahead with this. The recorder LCD is much
more advanced, and thus I started with that for the X11 simulator. I hope to
use the same engine to simulate the player's screen, when given a command
line switch or something.

I'm currently waiting for a file hierarchy in CVS/firmware/ so that some of
the basic include files can be written (like for hardware/register defines
etc) and placed there as well as both the recorder and player lcd source
codes that we have. It'll make a much better ground to continue to build
simulators on.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Hacking Archos => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/