Subject: Archos recorder and SCMS
From: Charlie Stross (
Date: 2002-04-07

Hi there -- I'm new to the list, but a trawl through the archives
didn't answer this question ...

Reading the release notes for Archos's firmware updates to the
Jukebox MP3 recorder (at I spotted in version
1.21d: "Implemented improved SCMS* (Serial Copyright Management System),
Fixed bugs within SCMS, which caused errors when encoding from digital

SCMS is ... ugly. As I'm about to buy a Jukebox Recorder 20 and need to
record some performances for distribution on the net -- performances I'm
giving -- I'm wondering just how Archos have gone about implementing
this? Is the SCMS copy bit only set on direct line-in digital recordings,
or does the jukebox try to add it to every file you write onto it? Or

(The existence of things like SCMS -- and its effect on legitimate artists --
is one of the biggest arguments I can think of for projects like rockbox.
Keep up the good work!)

-- Charlie