Subject: HOWTO Using the Recorder under Linux
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-04-09

Yes, we should add such a one. (As I didn't find one and I don't consider it
extremely obvious how this is made.) The Recorder does not need Björn's
ISD200 driver, that was written for and is required for Linux to communicate
with the Player (and others).

My start (feel free to correct me or add your own comments):

1. Make sure your kernel is configured with SCSI, USB and USB mass storage
   support.

2. On USB config page, use 'UHCI' as a (m)odule, as only then will the
   "Alternate Driver" appear in the config. Set that one to (m)odule as well.
   Failing to do this might cause you problems. It sure gave me some.

3. Build kernel, install, bla bla

4. After having booted your shiny new USB+SCSI kernel, do this:

$ insmod usb-uhci
$ mount -f vfat -oumask=0 /dev/sda1 /mnt/archos

(/dev/sda1 may not be exactly this name on your machine)

You can also make the mount command easier by appending a line to /etc/fstab
that looks like:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/archos vfat umask=0 0 0

And then just do this:

$ mount /mnt/archos

The umask stuff makes it possible for all users to write and delete files on
the archos file system, not only root.

I'm sure we can soon do some nice hotplug magic to make this happen
automaticly when the Archos is connected.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Hacking Archos => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/