Subject: Re: Cordless remote hack for a buck or two?
From: Andrew Jamieson (ajamiesn_at_mira.net)
Date: 2002-04-22

Sorry this is a bit late, been elsewhere .....

Cordless remote:

Sounds like a good idea.

> Possible problems:
>
> 1) From memory, I think standard IR remotes use a 40khz carrier to avoid
> interference from other IR sources, but maybe it's 40hz (I can't
> remember) which wouldn't be enough to carry a 9600baud connection.

It'd be 40KHz.

> 2) How to program the programmable remote? Don't they normally just copy
> another remote? You might need to stick an LED in your printer port and
> write a quick signal generator.

Just make yourself a quick serial port driving circuit for the led, then use
your favourite terminal program (NOT hyperterminal) to dump the control
codes out to the remote.

> 3) It's INSANE!

What's wrong with that?