Subject: Re: USB2 on Linux - an eye witness' story!
From: Charlie Stross (
Date: 2002-04-23

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 12:24:09AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I configured, rebuilt, rebooted and had problems since then. After I've
> insmod'ed my USB kernel mods and I switched on my Archos Recorder, I always
> got segfaults when doing 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', but 'cat
> /proc/bus/usb/devices' seemed to find and identify my Archos.
On a related note: I run PowerPC Linux on an iBook2. (Current distro is
SuSE 7.3 with kernel 2.4.12.)

The first time I plugged the Jukebox in and loaded usb-storage, it failed
to recognize the device at all, no matter what I did -- so I rebooted into
MacOS X for a while. Subsequently I needed Linux, and happened to reboot
with the Jukebox plugged in. Guess what? Problem goes away, Jukebox shows

Now the one point to note is that the iBook has a DVD/CDRW, and I was manually
currently shows:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: FUJITSU Model: MHN2200AT Rev: 7257
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: DVD-ROM SD-R2002 Rev: 1B29
  Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

One of these SCSI hosts is USB mass storage; the other is IDE-SCSI, and
I have a sneaking suspicion (haven't yet done the neccessary series of reboots
to confirm this) the the order you load them in is significant.

Oh yeah: here's a tip: iTunes 2.0 doesn't correctly write id3 tags on
mp3s when you rip CD's.

However, if you grab id3tool from, the
(attached) Perl script may be of some use to you. It expects to see
files stored in a directory hierarchy like artist/album/filename.mp3,
and expects to be passed a file's pathname on the command line: it does
some simple munging of pathname components and then uses id3tool to add
id3 tags to a file. This was a quick and dirty one-hour hack, feel free
to play around with and modify it for your own purposes.

-- Charlie

  • application/x-perl attachment: