Subject: Re: playlist ideas
From: Charlie Stross (charlie_at_antipope.org)
Date: 2002-04-23

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:58:56AM -0400, Matt.OReilly_at_wachovia.com wrote:

> 3 - Regardless of playlists, one of the most frustrating things about
> playback with the Archos is the lack of directory-crawling when playing
> back w/o a playlist. Fixing this would be a great boon, I think. Just
> simple sequential directory traversal would be heavenly...

While waiting for rockbox, here's a fun little toy. Mount your jukebox
somewhere like /mnt/jukebox, cd to /mnt/jukebox, then run this shell
script. For each directory in the jukebox's root it'll build an m3u
playlist of the contents. If, like me, you have a directory per artist
and then subbdirectories for each album, this'll give you per-artist
playlists.

///BEGIN CODE///
#!/bin/sh

JUKE=/mnt/jukebox
$base=$(pwd)
for foo in $( find $JUKE -maxdepth 1 -type d -print)
do
  echo processing $foo
  NAME=$(basename $foo)
  cd $foo
  find . -type f -name '*.mp3' -print > $foo/$NAME.m3u
  cd $base
done
///END CODE///

-- Charlie