Subject: Re: playlist ideas
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-04-23

Matt.OReilly_at_wachovia.com wrote:

> That gives me an idea... How about nested playlists?

A nice feature, ripe for version 2. :-)

> You could have one global/master playlist which loads other playlists
> for each directory/block/whatever. This would cut down considerably
> on the memory requirements for loading playlists, we'd only have one
> HDD spinup when changing playlists, and it would make adding new songs
> to the playlist much easier.

The downside is that you can't randomise beyond the currently playing
list. For me, an important goal for this project is whole-disk random
playback.

> This would require an adaptation to the m3u format to support

Not really. m3u is just a list of files to play. Put an .m3u file in the
list among the .mp3 files. Winamp will probably just ignore it (like xmms
does).

--
Björn