Subject: Status report

Status report

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:06:13 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all.

Although the list is rather quiet, we are making good progress in the code
(as everyone on the rockbox-cvs list can see). Those of you loading the
web page every now and then have seen that items on the activity chart are
turning green at a steady rate. Excluding test code and the simulators,
the firmware now comprises over 8000 lines of code.

As you know, last week we had the major breakthrough of actual MP3
playback with the MAS. That first test code was very crude, and Linus has
been struggling since then to produce something more useful. Although the
hardware design isn't exactly helping, we're pretty close to a good
solution now.

The directory browser user interface now features scrolling, so a larger
number of files can now be browsed and "selected". Dave Chapman and Stefan
Meyer wrote much of that.

And finally, the disk i/o code is now ready. The ATA driver, FAT32 driver,
directory handling layer and file layer are tested and green-flagged for
use. This, combined with the MAS code and the directory browser user
interface, means that we are seriously approaching our first release.

Speaking of releases inevitably brings us to version numbering. My
thinking is that we should define a "target feature list" for version 1.0.

I see 1.0 as a very basic and bare-bones application that just allows you
to select and play mp3 files and control the volume. "Release early,
release often" is a key motto in open source and I too think it's
important to get a "rough" version out early.

Opinions?

--
Björn