Subject: Re: Status report
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-05-08

George Styles wrote:

> Sorry if im out of place speaking, as I am not contributing to the
> coding at all (time restrictions).

You're not out of place. Feedback and ideas are welcome from everybody,
not just us hardcore geeks currently getting our hands dirty.

> Am I right in saying that as the ATAPI->USB is handled by a hardware
> chip, I can still access the HDD via USB and remove any failing
> firmware?

Yes.

> also, I heard somewhere that its possible to set registers so two
> outputs are connected together, thus blowing the ATAPI interface. Does
> anyone know if this is urban myth?

It sounds unlikely. Remember we are talking signal levels here, not power
lines. Having both the USB and CPU access the ATAPI interface will
probably only result in bugging software and possibly data corruption.

(That said, we have been surprised by the hardware design before so I will
definitely not guarantee anything.)

--
Björn