Subject: Re: Status report
Date: 2002-05-09

Oh, ok, I get it. Well, then, it sounds like the random data thing might
be the way to go. Or better yet, simply putting white space in the front
of the .mp3, before the track "actually" begins, equivalent to the
time/space in the old cluster that remains with the first part of the

Generation of silence is easy, just a bunch of 0's with control codes,
right? And the chip already knows how to encode to .mp3... So it would
simply be a matter of hijacking the input and output of the chip to
"record" silence and write it in front of the beginning of the interesting
bit. What's the max size of a cluster? 32k? That's only a fraction of a
second in .mp3 time, so I don't see that it would be greatly disruptive to
the playback of the "new" track.

It occurs to me that any sort of time shifting will encounter this problem.
Only truncating on the end will be easy to do.

                    Linus Nielsen
                    Feltzing To:
                    <> cc:
                    Sent by: Subject: Re: Status report
                    05/08/2002 04:13
                    Please respond
                    to rockbox
> Is it really that complicated? I may not understand the problem, but
> here's a thought.
> I haven't looked into FAT32 at all, but I thought that in FAT16 the end

less information (that is referred to as "slack").

So if we split a file in the middle of a cluster, the second file would
begin with a partial cluster, and FAT can't handle that (except for the
last one).