Subject: mpeg audio playback in x11 uisimulator
From: Dave Chapman (dave_at_dchapman.com)
Date: 2002-05-10

Hello,

I've just committed to CVS my first attempt to add mpeg audio playback to the
x11 version of the uisimulator.

It uses the GPL'd libmad (http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/) and
currently needs to be explicitly enabled. To compile with libmad support,
type either

make MPEG_PLAY=1

or

export MPEG_PLAY=1
make

In the current implementation, the mp3 file is played (using the OSS device
/dev/dsp) when it is selected using the directory browser. Pressing any key
cancels the playback.

The current "mpeg API" consists of the single function:

int mpeg_play(char* fname);

which returns when a key is pressed or the song has been played.

The next stage (in parallel with a win32 implementation) is to devise and
implement an API for use by both the simulator and the real device.

Any suggestions?

Can I also take this chance to suggest that we don't do anything to limit the
rockbox firmware to only playing mp3 (MPEG-1, Layer 3) files - the MAS
decoder handles all types of MPEG audio.

Regards,

Dave.