Subject: Re: mpeg audio playback in x11 uisimulator

Re: mpeg audio playback in x11 uisimulator

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:02:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Dave Chapman wrote:

> I've just committed to CVS my first attempt to add mpeg audio playback to
> the x11 version of the uisimulator.

Cool!

> The current "mpeg API" consists of the single function:
>
> int mpeg_play(char* fname);
>
> which returns when a key is pressed or the song has been played.

It seems a bit restrictive. I mean, the regular software will of course
continue to play the tune while you can continue doing other things...

> The next stage (in parallel with a win32 implementation) is to devise and
> implement an API for use by both the simulator and the real device.

Right. Perhaps Linus and Björn have some ideas in this area? mpeg_play() is
probably fine enough when nothing else is already playing, but when there is
playing in progress we need some kind of request-a-track system from the
mp3-playing thread.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/