Subject: Re: Back to wav

Re: Back to wav

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:37:42 +0200 (CEST)

Matt.OReilly_at_wachovia.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a *lossless* audio compression algorithm
> out there?

Yes, lots of them:

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/

> Why use 128 or 384kb/sec mp3 encoding/playback when we can have nearly
> a meg/sec?

Why use mp3 when there is wav, you mean? Well, most people like the 1:11
size factor of mp3 (128kbit).

> Does the mp3 codec cover anything like this?

No, mp3 is for lossy compression only.

> If so, the encoding chip itself might be able to handle it natively
> even...

It can, but only if we find a skilled DSP programmer with the right tools.
There is no way we can to real-time (de)compression in the CPU.

--
Björn