Subject: RE: Suggested mpeg playing API

RE: Suggested mpeg playing API

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:23:16 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote:

> > > None of these functions should fail.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'fail'? For example the method new_track inherently
> > can fail. How will it behave if some moron calls it with a start_time
> > that is after the end of the file?
>
> Good point. So we need some good return codes from at least some of the
> functions.

No, I don't think we need that. It just won't play anything. To the user,
it'll be the same as doing "seek to 5 seconds before the end" of a track that
has 10 secons of silence in the end. It get silent. Both cases would probably
result in that either the user presses "next track" or the player thread uses
the API to request the next track (when the silence has ended).

The point would be that we tell the player thread what "we" want and it tries
to obey. The action in itself may not happen immediately and we don't want to
block the UI on a synchronous call waiting for a return code that is rather
useless.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/