Subject: Re: your mail
From: Dave Chapman (
Date: 2002-05-13

On Monday 13 May 2002 14:40, you wrote:
> wrote:
> > If we can overcome the size limitation, there's no reason I can see
> > that an Archos couldn't replace a DAT for semi-pro recording.
> For the Recorder, the 1Mbit limit is gone. It uses a parallell connection
> between the CPU and DSP so the bandwidth is much higher.
> We still have the DSP roadblock though. Until we can write/get new DSP
> code, we will not be able to support anything but MP3.

That would be very cool if it could support 44.1KHz or 48KHz uncompressed
recording. I agree with Matt - playback isn't as important as recording.

I don't know if it is possible to set up the MAS3587 for "pass-through" -
i.e. pass the sound samples through from the A/D convertor to the Parallel
I/O bus without mp3 encoding. Maybe we won't need any DSP programming for