Subject: Duh - the solution to the background noise?
From: Justin (jaf60_at_it.canterbury.ac.nz)
Date: 2002-06-08

Ok, this is sooo stupifyingly simple that either I'm on crack and
insane, or I'm way behind you guys and missing the obvious :-)

The annoying background hum in the recorder that ceases when the disk
activates, has defied all efforts to remove it. From memory of various
people's investigations:
The noise is in the power rails. The noise corresponds to whatever the
LCD screen is doing. Cutting off the LCD driver does not remove the
noise. This all suggests that the noise is coming from the cpu activity
that controls the LCD output.

So how do you remove the noise? Use Rockbox firmware! So long as it
doesn't make the cpu do stupid things for cosmetic display during
playback, the noise should be as absent as when the hard disk is
activating.

What do you think?

I can't wait for the first recorder-ready playback-capible Rockbox test
- we could be in for an awesome surprise!

And if Rockbox can solve this thing that has been plagueing us for so
long, either a great many people will ditch the archos firmware, never
to return, or archos will fix the problem.

Comments? Am I right to be hopeful?