Subject: Re: Build question
From: Bill Napier (
Date: 2002-06-11

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:47:39 +0200 (MET DST), Daniel Stenberg <> said:
> I've done this quite a number of times by now, and I always add the
> sh-gcc bin directory to my path and then happily just run 'make'.

> If you have the tools in your path, how come the shell invoked from
> make can't find them?

Never fails. Ask a question after struggling with the answer, and you
figure it out. Apparently bash doesn't like to do ~ expansion within
a "" statement. I had this (Which I got from somewhere, don't
remember where):

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists

if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    export PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"

Took the "" from the PATH= line and it works fine. Sorry to bother
you all,

If it happens once, it's a bug.
If it happens twice, it's a feature.
If it happens more than twice, it's a design philosophy.