Subject: Re: some questions

Re: some questions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:02:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Benoit Midy wrote:

> - when is it plan to release a Recorder Firmware thta could play some
> file (and perhaps record too, but the more important now is the possibility
> to play)

The roadmap on the rockbox site mentions this for the 1.2 release. We've done
most of everything that is targeted for 1.1 and we are indeed approaching 1.2
status really quick now. If we don't release 1.1 soon we can probably just as
well go for 1.2 right away! ;-)

> - is there a way to update the character table set to handle another
> language (arabic, japan ...) I only need to know how to update the charset
> . I know that it is defined as an array in chartables.c but is there some
> tools to make it easier ?

The charsets (they are in three sizes) in chartables.c were donated by Gary
Czvitkovicz. I don't know what kind of tool he used to create them. If you
read this Gary, we're eager to know!

The charsets are also a bit limited, as they don't supply any characters
above 0x7f. I would personally like to see full ISO-8859-1 support... Again,
we can use some help here!

> - Finally is it possible to display only the file that could be handled
> (like the actual Archos firmware) mp3 file, directory , and txt file and
> perhaps bmp readable file.

It is certainly possible to make the software do this. We already have a BMP
image file viewer, and the other day I kind of started on a text viewer.

> Actually I did found the Actual Archos interface nicer as the RockBox, but
> I think that will no longer be like it.

The Rockbox UI is indeed a bit crude still, yes. We welcome all contributions
that improve it, be it code or suggestions on how to proceed.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/