Subject: Re: a question about memory sizes

Re: a question about memory sizes

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:28:33 +0200

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:06:09 -0600, Greg Haerr wrote:
>Does anybody have ideas as to how much RAM can be used
>for the Jukebox OS, and how much is needed for any other
>operations? I recall reading somewhere on the site that the
>flash-based firmware won't read an archos.mod file > 200k bytes.

After disassembling the Player firmware, we have indications that it
might not load MOD files larger than 200Kb. We haven't tested that,
though. Our current Recorder firmware isn't even close to 80Kb yet...

>Also, how much RAM is in the systems?

2Mb.

>I'm trying to get an idea as to how much code we can ultimately
>have available to run on the player.

Theoretically, up to 2Mb, but there *might* be problems loading
firmwares bigger that 200Kb. However, we are developing a boot
loader, RoLo, that will overcome such limits. The purpose of the
loader isn't to overcome any limits, but merely to be able to select
from a list of firmwares,including the original Archos firmware.

>Another question: is the Recorder LCD display fundamentally
>different than the post-v4.03 players?

Indeed. It is a graphical bitmap display, 112x64 pixels.

/Linus

--
Linus Nielsen Feltzing, linus_at_haxx.se on 2002-06-19