Subject: Re: some questions
From: Greg Haerr (
Date: 2002-06-20

> > Basically, I've got a BDF->.c file converter, as well as code that will
> > draw the font. In this case, the chartables.c file can be quickly
> > with a much-more- readable .c file created from the bdf file converter,
> > which allows looking at or modifying the characters, as well as adding
> > completely new fonts quickly. Once the bits are in place, the existing
> > rockbox code can be used to draw the character.
> This certainly sounds like "The Right Thing" to me. I'm all for this. Let
> know what we can do to (help you) get this in place!

Basically, we need to target some BDF files to be used as
the source font files for the rockbox. Currently, the code seems
to support three sizes. If someone can suggest the actual BDF
font sources, then I'll work on getting the more generalized font
routines in place, which should allow easy switching of other fonts
in place.

Are we wanting just pan-european font support, or do you think
we need to support Japanese, Korean and Chinese as well?
We can probably use internal UTF-8 encoding, which will allow
most code to be used completely unchanged. Of course, most
of the user interface just browses file names and ID3 tags. I'm not
sure if ID3 supports internationalization. Does anybody know?