Subject: Re: some questions
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-06-20

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Greg Haerr wrote:

> Player: post 4.03 allows text-only and double-high character mode. Will
> this LCD display bitmaps, or only internal character set? I'm not sure
> whether this LCD is character-only, or can display arbitrary dots.

Character-only. A defined charset, but there are 8 customizable characters
that can be redefined by software. The characters do have a little gap
between them even if you write those 8 characters next to each other.

> What type display is used on the earliest player version? Do we care about
> that? I mean, do we need UI apps that will work on all versions, or should
> we have seperate graphical vs character-only versions?

The so called "player-old" (our term) offers a different charset but in
otherwise a very similar character-only LCD. No double-height feature
available though.

> Recorder: full bitmap display, 112x64 pixels.

Yes. And for information on implementation details: we keep a regular char
array in memory in which we draw the entire screen and everything, when we
call lcd_update() we copy that buffer from memory to the LCD controller (full
screen).

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/