Subject: Re: How to build firmware and other issues
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-06-21

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Alex Gitelman wrote:

> I checked out apps, firmware and tools. A changed all makefiles in apps and
> firmware to use recorder as target.

This is really not the best way to do it. Instead do like this:

 1. [check out the modules as above]

 2. mkdir build-dir

 3. cd build-dir

 4. ../tools/configure

    [answer to which target you want to build]

 5. make

It takes away the need of all manual editing of makefiles etc.

> I switched to tools and run configure, specifying recorder as target.

It is not a good idea to run the configure script in the actual tools
directory, and I believe that I will soon add some checks that will in fact
warn users about this and possible refuse to do it!

The reason why this is bad is that there already is a Makefile in that
directory, that is used for building the scramble tools etc. Having a
separate build directory also makes it easier to build for multiple platforms
and it makes it easier to remove all output files when you want to etc.

> Then I run make. I get ajbrec.ajz and copy it to recorder. However it does
> not load. What could be the problem?

Tough question. I'm not really sure.

> Are there any instructions on how actually do the build?

This is the instruction linked to from the daily-build page:

        http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/firmware/README

> 2. _memcmp could not be resolved so I had to add -lc to linker options in
> apps

Oh? What uses memcmp()? We should not rely on any external libc-like library
(we've recently worked hard to remove the newlib dependency) so if we need
memcmp() we should provide our own.

> 3. I had to manually compile scramble.

It was because you had configure overwrite the makefile in the tools
directory that otherwise would've built it.

> 4. Size of firmware I download is 78K while my compiled version is only
> 61.8K. Can it be padding problem? Anyway why is such a difference? I guess
> I am doing something wrong.

I think you're seeing the improvments by Eric Linenberg, the Sokoban map
levels are now a lot smaller.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- Rocking the box => http://bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/