Subject: Re: Extended charsets
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-06-25

> I saw that somebody is playing with extended charsets,
> Whoever he/she is - can you get in touch and tell me more on what's
> going on. I am planning to do some development in that area. Ideally,
> I am thinking of loadable fonts (like font files placed on archos).

I volunteered to do some work on the font code. Basically,
the following were some of the ideas for improvement. Most
all the code is already written, I'll use code from Microwindows.

1. Easily support changing between different font glyphs
(Latin-1, chinese, korean, japanese, etc) We will need
some thought in the Rockbox-internal method of handling
unicode indices (I suggest UTF-8 for no change required,
I still need input on how the ID3 tags support unicode)

2. Support converting any freely-available BDF font
(from any X distribution) for use in rockbox.

3. Format the character glyph bits in C source to allow
easy modification of individual characters, if desired.

4. Support proportional fonts (already supported in the
mwin internal font structure and associated draw code)

5. Compressed loadable fonts can be supported with a patch
I've recently received. The fonts can be placed anywhere on
the rockbox filesystem.

I have been a little concerned with the use and need for special
characters that aren't likely to be found in "standard" Latin-1
fonts. The easiest solution to this would be for the rockbox
UI guys to come up with a list of required symbols and put
all of them in a special-purpose BDF font, which can then be
used along with the user-changeable BDF fonts. There is some
issue with regards to character height, however.

Regards,

Greg