Subject: announce - quick sync utility for archos
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-06-26

Ever decided to clean the 20GB harddrive on the Archos
and re-transfer all your music files over? It takes
way too long. For various reasons, I keep a master copy
of my archos filesystem on my PC, and then copy/update
the archos filesystem through the USB port. Recopying
the entire file tree takes > 5 hours. So I wrote fcopy.

fcopy.exe, currently a command-line utility for windows,
[recursively] compares two directory trees comparing
file size, timestamp, and existence. It will then copy
over any missing file and optionally delete any file
existing only on the destination, resulting in two identical
filesystems. (It currently doesn't delete empty directories,
but will soon). Or you can run -v, and it'll show the
differences and do nothing.

I wrote fcopy last night, and it's been a super help, and
allows me to update my archos in minutes, rather than
hours. I'll release the source/binaries GPL to anyone
who wants them, I figured it might be a good addition
to the rockbox project. With a little work writing a
directory expander, fcopy should port quickly to Linux.

Regards,

Greg