Subject: Re: questions ...
From: Rob Ward (
Date: 2002-06-26

Hi Justin. Where did you buy yours from? (I presume you do own one?).

Justin wrote:

Ignore the country power issue and the archos from wherever is best in
terms of warrenty and getting it repaired in case you do have problems.
Because some people do have problems, and it's not a cheap toy in NZ$,
I'd suggest that ease of return/repair be your guiding factor in where
to buy it from. Once you have it, go to your local Dick Smith
Electronics store, and buy this:

It's what I use to charge my archos, and it will charge it no-matter
where you are in the world. Make sure you get the plug polarity right
though - some archos models are not well protected against reverse
polarity and you could fry it if you have it reversed. FOr extra safety,
use a multimetre to check that the centre (tip) of the plug is positive
then tape or glue it in place :)

Rob Ward wrote:
Thanks for the answers to my questions. Not sure whether I can buy a
unit from Europe - often there are limitations on where companies will
sell to.

I was thinking of , however they probably
has a US adapter.

Also, I have another problem ... I run Windoze NT4 and therefore have no
USB. Is there a way around this? I guess I could set up a linux box.

Lastly, how does the AJBR handle looong files, like say 45 minutes long,
recordered at 40kbps? These are cassette tapes made into MP3's with just
speech (eg. no music)? Can the message be paused say halfway thru, the
player turned off, then restarted at the midpoint again?

Thanks again.

Rob Ward