Subject: RE: Patch to allow wrapping around in directories
From: M. OReilly (
Date: 2002-06-29

Benoit wrote:
Yes it is a direction to explore for the player, but for the recorder I
think (which has these Functions Buton F1,F2 and F3) it could
be a good direction to use the F2 and F3 like the "PageUp/ PageDown" button
of PC-keyboard , is'n it ?
And there is also a problem by the solution you proposed, in my case I've
some directory that
contains 114 files named as 001.mp3 .... 114.mp3.

But in all cases I think it is a "must-have" feature to help user to browse
directory with contains a lots of file (>100 )

While there is limited need for this given the nature of the Archos and
Rockbox, I think it bears saying here: "there is more than one way to skin
a cat". If it makes sense to perform a particular operation in more than
one way, it should (within reason, of course) be implemented in each way.
The more intuitive we make it, the better off we are, I think. It's more
work for the Rockbox team up front, but the better it is, the more people
will use it.

Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and unlike the Archos (1.25d firmware) directory wrapping, can we please
put a delimiter (a functional ".." would be great) to let us know when we've
wrapped? In a directory where there are 20 files all starting with the band
name, it's sometimes tough to know when you've started over... that little
bar on the left is a help sometimes, but not always.