Subject: RE: Question re Linux...
From: Linus G Larsson (lgl_at_leia.org)
Date: 2002-07-04

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 15:25, Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote:
> > Correct. However I had problems with the simple plug in. If I boot
> > and than plug, I get timeout while detecting the drive. If I switch
> > on the drive and then boot, everything is OK.
>
> This is a known problem. You can build usb-uhci and usb-storage as modules
> and insert the usb-uhci module after you have plugged in the unit. That is
> easier that rebooting all the time.
>
> > I think I read somewhere (here?) to switch from usb-uhci
> > (I thing that was the correct order of characters) to uhci. Any
> > expirience anybody?
>
> Yes. The opposite. :-) Switch from uhci to usb-uhci.

I have USB support in the kernel, while usb-storage is a module. I used
to have the "UHCI Alternate Driver (JE)" - the uhci module - but
experienced problems. After reading Björn's advices (this is before I
learned about Rockbox, btw) I switched to usb-uhci and everything works
like a charm.
I also use hotplug, which works wonderfully. When i plug in the
Recorder, hotplug discovers it and loads the usb-storage module. I can
even mount the Recorder, pull out the USB cable, go home, plug it in the
next morning, and never have to remount it. Too good to be true, eh? =)

Regards,
Linus