Subject: RE: Possible Filename Buffer Overrun
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2002-07-10

> I noticed that TREE_MAX_FILENAMELEN is defined to be 128 in
> tree.c. The
> actual filename looks like it can come from tree.c and playlist.c.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. peek_next_track() seems to be where the
filename comes from.

I also noticed that it takes 25 seconds for the scroller to scroll 128 bytes
(with default timing) and once the first readable 128 bytes of the filename
have been displayed, the garbage is displayed for - you guessed it - 25
seconds before recovering and starting all over again.

Lots of the code that deals with these buffers is explicitly putting a NULL
at the end of the buffer (almost always 256 bytes - except in the case
above) so when the scroller reaches that NULL, it starts again - I like
defensive programming.

The problem seems to be related to this 128 byte buffer, but it needs more
investigation. I'm concentrating on getting the build environment working
before I can really do anything.

Stu.