Subject: RE: Getting started
From: Stuart Tedford (
Date: 2002-07-11

I have just been through this whole process and I can now build RockBox on
my win2k system :)

Here is what I did, and I suggest you do the same - especially if you don't
know much about unix.

I downloaded and installed cygwin (, the whole installation
becasue I know nothing about unix etc and don't know the minimum that is

Then follow the instructions exactly as on this page (thanks Linus). Then you have the
compiler and build environment all set up (it took an hour or so to build it
all - probably due to the windoze host).

Then follow the instructions here
this will allow you to build the actual RockBox "executable".

As far as writing and editing c code get yourself a book ;)

I did try following the instructions here initially
( and I could build the sample project
directly in windoze ok. But the makefiles and auto config in RockBox are
all unix specific ie. '/' not '\' and I don't have the time or knowledge to
re-write them for windoze. Besides - they work really well in cygwin.

Hope this helps