Subject: RE: Getting started

RE: Getting started

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:04:25 +0100

I have just been through this whole process and I can now build RockBox on
my win2k system :)

Here is what I did, and I suggest you do the same - especially if you don't
know much about unix.

I downloaded and installed cygwin (www.cygwin.com), the whole installation
becasue I know nothing about unix etc and don't know the minimum that is
required.

Then follow the instructions exactly as on this page
www.bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox.cross-gcc.html (thanks Linus). Then you have the
compiler and build environment all set up (it took an hour or so to build it
all - probably due to the windoze host).

Then follow the instructions here www.bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/firmware/readme
this will allow you to build the actual RockBox "executable".

As far as writing and editing c code get yourself a book ;)

I did try following the instructions here initially
(www.bjorn.haxx.se/rockbox/sh-win/) and I could build the sample project
directly in windoze ok. But the makefiles and auto config in RockBox are
all unix specific ie. '/' not '\' and I don't have the time or knowledge to
re-write them for windoze. Besides - they work really well in cygwin.

Hope this helps
Stu.