Subject: Re[4]: Different charsets, loadable fonts, unicode ....
From: Alex Gitelman (
Date: 2002-07-15

>> GH> 1. Have both max width and height (bdf bounding box) information
>> GH> in the file. This allows the system to select a font based on
>> GH> height/width, if desired. In addition, the ascent (baseline) comes
>> GH> in extremely handy. I've found the following [minimal] information
>> GH> to come in very handy:
>> GH> char fontname[32]; /* fixed size font name, might differ from
>> GH> filename*/
>> GH> short maxwidth; /* max width of font*/
>> GH> short height; /* max height of font =
GH> ascent+descent*/
>> GH> short ascent; /* ascent (baseline) height*/
>> GH> short firstchar; /* first character of font*/
>> GH> short size; /* size of font (# encodings)*/

I am adding this header right now. Except that most info will be byte
long. Only size and first char will be short assuming that there might
be more than 255 chars. Information used in code will be stored in
ajf.h and shared between bdf2ajf and firmware, so it is consistent.

I plan also to change format to store variable width table. As I
mentioned information is already there but storing widh+char offset
info may be more efficient way (faster to locate char). It is second