Subject: too many MPEG_NEED_DATA messages?

too many MPEG_NEED_DATA messages?

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:00:23 +0100

I noticed on the latest cvs builds that key presses are taking a very long
time to be actioned when a new song starts playing.

I noticed that MPEG_NEED_DATA messages are being posted to the mpeg queue in
a number of places in the code. I concluded that the key presses were being
queued behind several MPEG_NEED_DATA messages - which each take a
significant time to complete.

I added a simple counter that increments on each MPEG_NEED_DATA post - and
decrements on each MPEG_NEED_DATA service. I then only posted a new
MPEG_NEED_DATA if there wasn't already a pending one. This fixed the
problem nicely - although I think more testing is needed.

Stu.