Subject: RE: Re: Possible Filename Buffer Overrun

RE: Re: Possible Filename Buffer Overrun

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:45:32 +0100

I have finally had some time to look at the scroller code and found the bug
- it's a good one and worth explaining.

The scrollinfo struct uses a char to index the text array. When that char
(being of the signed variety) reaches 128, it actually wraps around to -128
and then indexes (via a cast to an int) 128 bytes before the beginning of
the array in memory. This explains the behaviour seen where it would
display 128 bytes of rubbish after reaching 128, and then recover when it
finally came back to the beginning of the array.

The fix is simple, but I am unfamiliar with the patch generation method
(maybe someone could post some instructions), so I will write out the change
(it's only one line) and could someone commit it to cvs for me please.

in "Rockbox\FIRMWARE\DRIVERS\lcd.c" line 108
change "char offset;"
to "int offset;"

This is in the scrollinfo struct. While you are at it, you may as well
change the array member above it "char text[257];" to "char text[MAX_PATH];"
since it is mostly used to display filenames.

Stu.