Subject: hard disk spin up

hard disk spin up

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:29:14 +0100

Has anyone got any theories on implementing a soft spin up for the hard
disk?

Would there be any advantages to this in terms of battery life?

At work we implement a soft start control for the radiator fans on cars, so
that the battery voltage doesn't brown out and cause problems for our ecu's.

I guess the disadvantage is that it would take longer to access the disk,
but would it damage the disk in the long term? - I'm thinking we could do a
PWM style spin up where we ask for data then sleep repeatedly for a
decreasing amount of time until the disk is spinning fast enough.

So... any theories?
Stu.