Subject: RE: Re: hard disk spin up
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2002-07-26

> We have no control whatsoever of the disk rotation. It is the
> hard disk
> itself that does that. We can only tell to spin up and down.

Thats what I'm thinking about when I say PWM. You know, ask it to spin up,
then say 10ms later ask it to spin down, then ask it to spin up again, and
wait slightly longer (say 20ms) then ask it to spin down. And so on and so
on increasing the time until the disk has stated spinning fast enough.

What I don't know about is if this would increase battery life and/or
destroy the hdd.

Stu.