Subject: Hardware problems
From: M. OReilly (
Date: 2002-07-26

This isn't exactly rockbox-related, but I wanted to get feedback from the

My AJBR20 broke a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened, exactly,
maybe it took a bump in just the wrong way or something, but it's definitely
not working properly. Looking at the pics of the 6000 on Bjorn's site, I
have determined that there seems to be some sort of short between the two
boards internally. I can cause the Archos to spontaneously reboot or shut
off by putting pressure on the earphone piece, which naturally presses the
top/LCD/control board into the bottom/CPU board. Most of my audio and other
settings are erased.

The unit maintains power when plugged into the wall socket, and upon
occasion I have to press on the top of the unit to get the charging process
started. This leads me to believe that the short is somewhere in the
battery circuit, causing the short in the batteries.

Has anyone run into any similar problems with their units? Perhaps more
importantly, has anyone had experience with Archos' warranty service? I
have an RMA, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into

Thanks for the input.